Wow your Sunday brunch guests with this fun and easy dish, though Shakshuka can work for any meal of the day. This warm and satisfying dish is perfect for the whole family.
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. cumin
¼ tsp. chili powder
1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
6 large eggs
salt and pepper, to taste
1 small bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
1 small bunch fresh parsley, chopped
1. Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add the chopped bell pepper and onion. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent.
2. Add garlic and spices, and cook an additional minute.
3. Pour the can of tomatoes (including the juice) into the pan, breaking down the tomatoes using a large spoon. Season with salt and pepper, and bring the sauce to a simmer.
4. Using your large spoon, make small wells in the sauce and crack an egg into each well. Cover the pan and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the eggs are done to your liking.
5. Garnish with chopped cilantro and parsley.Tip: Crumbled feta or goat cheese on top is a delicious addition. Traditionally it’s served with pita, but you can also serve it with slices of avocado.
Recipe Courtesy of downshiftology with lisa Bryan