Recipes & Photos Courtesy of Tina VanDenHeuvel-Cook, NTP
You can follow Tina on Instagram @madebetterforyou
INGREDIENTS: For the Meat: 3 lbs. whole boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch chunks 1 1/2 tsp. salt 1 tsp. ground pepper 2 tbsp. avocado oil For the Stew: 2 tbsp. butter 3 large carrots 1 14-oz. package frozen petite onions, thawed 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, roughly chopped 5 cloves of garlic, minced 1 tbsp. fresh thyme 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped 3 tbsp. tomato paste 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce 3/4 cup red wine 1/4 cup arrowroot powder 32 oz. beef broth 2 large bay leaves 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen peas salt and pepper to taste METHOD: • Preheat the oven to 325˚F.
• Season beef chunks with salt and pepper. Heat avocado oil over medium high heat in a large Dutch oven or a heavy oven-proof pot, and sear beef on all sides until nicely browned. Do not fully cook at this point. (Brown meat in batches to not overcrowd the pan and to prevent steaming. If you notice that it begins to steam up, remove the excess liquid and continue browning.)
• Transfer the browned meat to a plate and set aside. Leave the brown bits at the bottom of the Dutch oven; don’t wipe the pot clean. • Over medium heat, add the butter, carrots, petite onions, mushrooms, garlic, thyme and rosemary to the same Dutch oven and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
• Add red wine, scraping the browned bits from the bottom using a wooden spoon, and cook until reduced, about 3 minutes.
• In a small bowl, add arrowroot to one cup of the beef broth and stir to create a roux to thicken the sauce.
• Add roux to the vegetables and stir to coat. Add additional beef broth and stir. Add the seared beef and bay leaves. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 5 to 7 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper at this point, if needed.
• Cover with an oven-safe lid. Finish cooking in the oven at 325˚F for about 1 hour and 30 minutes—until the meat is tender. Stir in peas 10 minutes before the cooking time is up.
•Remove bay leaves before serving. Serve with fresh thyme.