Yield: Two 8-inch-round Cake Pans
2 cups granulated sugar 2 eggs ¾ cup cocoa powder (specialty dark if available) 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour ¼ tsp. salt 1 tsp. baking powder 2 tsp. baking soda 1 cup hot coffee 2 tbsp. Amaretto or other favorite liquor 1 tbsp. vanilla 1 cup sour cream ½ cup vegetable oil
Method: • Preheat your oven to 325°F. This would also be the perfect time to brew yourself a pot of coffee. Just remember to save a cup for the recipe!
• In a large bowl with a hand mixer, or the bowl of your stand mixer with paddle attachment, combine sugar and eggs. Beat mixture on medium speed until light and fluffy.
• In a separate bowl, sift together cocoa powder, flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Slowly add dry ingredients to your egg mixture. Mix on low speed until smooth.
• Add hot coffee, liquor and vanilla to the batter; be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl well, then mix on low speed until well combined.
• Mix sour cream into batter until fully incorporated, followed by the vegetable oil. Mix both on low to medium speed. Set aside while you prepare the cake pans.
• Using melted butter or vegetable pan spray, coat two 8-inch-round cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper. This will help the cakes pop out of the pan after baking and cooling.
• Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans. Place in oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
• Transfer to cooling racks and let cool 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edge of the pans and turn the cakes upside-down onto the racks, and carefully remove the pans to cool completely. Remove the parchment paper at this time.
To Serve: You can now choose your favorite frosting recipe to smear all over this decadent chocolate cake, or even simply top with whipped cream and fresh berries! The frosting featured in the photo is an old-fashioned “cooked” buttercream with fresh berries to complement the rich dark chocolate flavor. I hope you satisfy your sweet tooth with this next level treat, or impress that special someone this Valentine’s Day!